Sunday, 1 February 2009

Two weeks down, many more to go..

Warning: This blog entry could get quite lengthy, read as much or little as you prefer.

This weekend was our weekend excursion to York. The rest of this blog will be filled with my feelings about York and my not so fun experiences. This may be boring and not as humerous to everyone else, but it was to me and the other girls there.

The weekend began early Friday morning with a 4.5-5 hour bus ride to York. The bus ride was filled with one girl throwing up in the aisle, sleeping in odd positions, and the movie The Queen. Once we arrived in York it was mid-afternoon and we set off to settle into our bed and breakfast's where we were assigned rooms. My new roommate and I were assigned a very quaint little room, that had a shower and a sink. Normally this would be good, unfortunately the shower had a clear door. Apparently this is not unusual because my shower at Vandon also has a clear door. The clear shower door became a major pain in the mornings as one of us had to leave the room while the other showered, otherwise it would have been awkward. The shower was also very very small with an enclosed top that was probably four inches above my head. On a positive note, the shower worked and had warm water.

Next we wandered around the city of York, looking in many little shops and going in every bakery or chocolate shop we came across. A group of us went to a service at York Minster which was very pretty. It was a service mostly of a mens/boys choir singing hymns. The minster is so big and extremely impressive.

After the service it was time to find food. We chose a little italian restaurant that looked very cute from the outside. Just as we sat down an older Italian man who worked there came by to see if we wanted wine. This is when we got on his bad side. He became a little upset when we said we just wanted water. He started talking in Italian and then decided he would train a server using our table. As he was apparently training this poor younger man, he was semi yelling in Italian and taking away our wine glasses and some silverware. I was the first to decided what I wanted and ordered a chicken/mushroom pancake thing with cheese that was on the appitizer list. I thought this sounded like a good idea, a lot of time I order off the appetizer side and it works out wonderfully. This was not the case. As our food came, the other girls got a big pizza, a huge calzone, a big plate of lasagna and another of spaghetti and then here comes my dish that is tiny. It was about 2 inches by 2 inches and it tasted not like chicken or mushroom. Luckily my friends felt sorry for me and shared their larger meals. This was my low point of the weekend.

After the bad meal it was on to the Pantomine which was extremely random, but very funny. It is my favorite theatre production I have seen over here so far. You could really tell the actors/actresses were having fun doing it. As we tried to navigate our way back to our B&B's we got lost. Multiple time, including crossing a bridge and then turning around, more than once. Eventually we made it back. Saturday was much better and I wasn't hating on York as much. I had a really good meal of fish and chips and an ice cream sunday that made my weekend just a little better! We also went on a ghost tour around York Saturday night. York is the most haunted city in the world. It was quite creepy to listen to the ghost stories, but it was also freezing which distracted my attention from being scared to worrying about whether or not I would still have toes in the morning. Over all it was a good weekend I suppose and now another week starts tomorrow.

This week was definitely my "I miss my family, friends, boyfriend, and Iowa" week. I'm assuming this week will be better in the sense that I'm going to force myself to look at the bright side of things. I hope this didn't bore any of you too much, and if you are still reading this I give you props. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment