Today was quite the day, although I didn't have my internship because of the weather, it was still a pretty full day. My roommate and I walked to Trafalgar Square from St. James's Park and visited the National Gallery Museum. I was very surprised by how close it is to where I live. It only took us about 2o minutes or less to walk there. It is much nicer to walk places here than it is to ride the tube. The tube is nice because it is so easy and quick to get from place to place, but when you walk you get to see so much more. Walking also helps me to figure out where I live in relationship to other places of interest. This was the first time I had walked through St. James's Park and it is soo pretty! Especially today with all of the snow on the ground.
The National Gallery Museum is huge and very pretty. Although it wasn't my first time there, I think I appreciated some of the paintings more now than I did a couple summers ago. Jenon and I walked through most of it and made sure to see the rooms with Monet and Van Gogh's work in them. We had audio tours that told us a little about each painting if we decided to listen, which we did.. most of the time! Next we walked to the British Museum which is even bigger than the National Gallery. It is ridiculously huge. I'm not sure you could see everything in one afternoon, it would be very overwhelming. We made sure to see the items listed under the "don't miss" list on the map. They included, Rosetta Stone, Parthenon sculptures, Mummies, Oxus Treasure, and a couple other artifacts. It was all really interesting, but hard to comprehend all of it. We were there for almost two hours I think and then decided that was pretty much all we could handle of museums for the day.
Once back we climbed into our beds to warm up :) Later on a couple of us made our first real meal! We made goulash, which was suprisingly tasty. I didn't like goulash much in high school, but that could have just been the school lunch issue. Anyway we have left overs so it looks like we'll be having that again tomorrow night! This evening we also thought it would be a good idea to plan our first trip. Unfortunately none of us have experience planning trips so it was quite the long frustrating process. First we looked up many different airlines and tickets and decided on what we found to be the best option and booked our tickets to Ireland for next weekend. Next it was time to find a place to stay. It probably would have been smarter for us to look for a place to sleep before we finalized the tickets... whoops. After a long time of looking at several different hostels with different rooming options available, the best we could find was a 12 bed female room. This means we will be sleeping bunkbed style in a large room with 8 other girls. It should be quite the experience. The hostel looks really nice from the pictures and it has gotten good reviews so that is what we are counting on... wish us luck!
Tomorrow is back to reality with my internship starting early in the morning....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment