Thursday, 19 February 2009

The Muffin Man

Today was my attempt to show Dena a few of the sights of London, although I feel like we were pretty successful today, tomorrow is going to be better as we are making a list of 'to do's'. This morning we went to breakfast, which apparently I have been taking for granted. On the Wales study abroad program they have to make all their meals themselves, nothing is provided. Here we get our choice toast, cereal, muffins, biscuits, croissants, yogurt, and juices for breakfast. So tomorrow when I eat my complimentary cereal and yogurt, I will have a new found appreciation.

After breakfast we headed down the street to Buckingham Palace to watch the changing of the guards ceremony. We should've arrived earlier because there was a huge crowd waiting. We got a pretty good spot along the side of the gates where we could see the changing of the guard and the band. Two odd things happened during the ceremony: 1) the sun came out and we actually got a little hot (This gives me much hope for the spring) 2) when the band came out I assumed they would play some sort of songs about the Queen, this was not the case. The first song they played was the Beetles song, 'Can't buy me Love' and another they played was "Dancing Queen." The "Dancing Queen" song was the most surprising to here, but I guess the groups that performed them were from England so in a way it makes sense.

Next was on to a little cafe Jenon and Allie's dads had recommended they try. It is called the Muffin Man. It is a very cute little cafe with lots of varieties of muffins, desserts, and teas. Main meals were also available so we went for lunch. It was really good and really inexpensive. I didn't get tea this time around, but I'm thinking it could be a fun place to take my family if they want some tea and scones while they visit!

The remainder of the afternoon was spent looking around the Holborn area. For my British Experience seminar we needed to go to Sir John Sloane's museum, which is in his former house. It is a really small museum, packed full of things and architecture from Sloane. We spent the next while getting lost trying to find Temple church. Once we found it, Temple church is really pretty. It is also in a cute part of London that seems more like it's own little neighborhood, apart from the big city. Temple church was set up by the knights of Templar. It is also the place where part of the Divinci Code was filmed, and is somewhat based on the knights of Templar from what I remember from the book. Next, Dena, Allie, and I headed to Tower Bridge. This is one of the prettiest bridges I have ever seen. We found it without a problem, walked across it, then walked along the Thames River. Today I seemed to have a tripping/stumbling problem. I was wearing my boots which is my excuse. Anyway, I had tripped approximately six times already today (Dena was counting) and just as I was saying that six was my limit and seven was just too many time to trip in one day, I biffed it as we were walking into a grocery store. Whoops. Luckily, that was my last stumble of the day and definitely my most graceful.

Tonight we headed to the International Student House (ISH) for karaoke night. We weren't sure how to get there so we ended up accidentally taking the long way. We made the long tube ride more enjoyable by singing songs from the Sound of Music. Don't judge, this was a fun way to pass the time and their weren't many people in the carriage with us, so we weren't too disruptive. :) Although it was karaoke night, no I did not get up and sing, although I was tempted at times. It was fun/funny to watch everyone else sing or yell the songs. It was even better when the crowd would get more into it. Over all it was a good day in London, I am excited to show Dena around more tomorrow and even explore a little more myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment