Tuesday, 17 February 2009

"A wonderful day in the neighborhood!"

Without my internship, Tuesday was spent outside because for once the sun was shining! Jenon, Allie, and I woke up early and went for a morning walk through St. James's Park and Green Park. I'm not really sure what came over me to wake up early, but we took about an hours walk. It was a good way to wake up for the day. After breakfast, Jenon headed to her internship and Allie and I headed back to our rooms to rest up for our strenuous day. After lunch, I headed out to explore a bit by myself. I went over to Hyde Park which is about a ten minute walk from Vandon. I made it safely and just sat on a pack bench and journaled. It is just really crazy to me that I have been in London over a month now! I feel like once my family comes (18 days!!) the rest of the term is just going to fly by. In a way, it makes me sort of sad. I really enjoy living in London and the people I have met here and I think I will get completely adjusted to life here and then I have to head home. On the other hand, being here has made me realize how much I actually enjoy living in Iowa and my small town, plus I miss my family and friends like crazy. I am super excited to see my family in March! I can't wait to show them around, even all the little areas like where I buy my groceries or where my internship is. :)

Once I got back from Hyde park, Allie and I set off to see if we could find where her internship is on foot. She thought she might like to walk to work someday or even walk home. We didn't think it would be too far of a walk so we headed out, thinking we knew where we were going. We had to go either around Hyde park or we could cut through it. We decided to cut through it. This was definitely not our brightest plan because Hyde park is huge and its connected to Kennsington Gardens which is huge as well. So we kept walking the direction we thought we were supposed too. I had my A-Z map of London with me, but it was not very helpful, nor were the signs posted in the park. We walked and walked probably taking a wrong turn at multiple times. I wouldn't say we were lost in the park, but we were disorientated. :) We found a street on the edge of the park and discovered somehow we were actually going to right direction! It took us a little over an hour to find the school Allie works at, but to look on the bright side, the parks we walked through were really beautiful. Allie's school is much different than the one I work at. It is an international school and the building was a huge house that got renovated into a school. It is super cute and doesn't even look like a school from the street.

After our long walk we headed back, taking the tube this time, and then it was time for leftover chicken casserole, which was still surprisingly good. A group of us attempted to plan spring break later in the evening, which was unsuccessful. I now realize why my mom doesn't really enjoy being the planner of our trips, it is a huge pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment