Yesterday (Saturday) was possibly the most beautiful day in London yet. The sun was shining all day and there wasn't a cloud in the sky! Jenon, Allie, Dena, and I headed to Portabella Market, which is supposed to be best on Saturdays. Portabella Market is just huge. We arrived mid-morning and luckily it was not extremely crowded. The market is spread out all along Portabella Road. It begins with antique shops and stands lining the road, then produce, and then clothing. This is my favorite market so far. I just really liked the variety of things that were on sale and I felt comfortable there, although that could be due to the fact that the last market I went to was Camden where I saw people with spikes all over their clothing. Anyway, since it was spread out all along Portabella Road there was space to move and it wasn't all crammed into a small space like some of the other market. There were some very tempting stands in the food section. One was just filled with delicious looking donuts and muffins. We did decided to stop at an older man's stand who was selling dried fruit, nuts, and candies. Since it was a good deal, we all caved and got a little treat. On our way out of the market it was around noon so the crowds got much worse. It took a lot of effort to find out way out of the market area. It was packed.
Next we made a little stop at Primark on our way to St. Paul's Cathedral. Primark was not quite as busy as the first time I went, but it was still pretty hectic. The lines to the dressing room are so long that people seriously try on clothes in the isles. Dena saw a mom helping her 10 yr. old ish daughter try on jeans on the isle. It's pretty ridiculous. Anyway, Jenon, Allie, and I all had things we wanted to try on so at first we tried the whole stand in line for the dressing room idea. This didn't last long so we caved and went for trying on our clothes in a secluded isle. We all had t-shirts on so it was pretty hard to tell if we actually liked what we were trying on. It was also very awkward so I will not be doing that anytime again soon.
After that it was off to visit St. Paul's Cathedral and Millennium bridge! We just walked around and looked at it a bit before we went to Hyde Park to sit and enjoy the sun! I just couldn't believe how beautiful it was out. By the time we got to Hyde Park we had definitely had our fill of crowds for the day so it was nice to just sit and enjoy the quite of the park. For dinner, we played the lazy card and went to Pizza Hut. It was absolutely delicious. I can't decide if my love for it was because of the thin crust pizza they serve here or if it was even better than back at home. It might be a close tie.
After dinner we got ready and headed to the Zoo Bar/Club. It was my first dance club experience and it went okay I would say. It had a couple floors and the first floor was all techno music and dancing that was sort of too much for me and the other people I was with so we headed to the second floor where we found oldies music being played. It was also less crowded, although there were still tons of people. The music definitely contributed to me having a good time. They played some Beatles, Queen, and even a song from the musical Greece. All in all it was fun.
Today, we woke up in time to go to the morning service at Hillsong and then it was lunch and off to Hyde Park again. Although the weather was not as good as yesterday, it is still pretty. Dena just left for the train station, so now its time for me to be productive....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi, Kathryn. Last night we helped your dad celebrate his bday! He shared your blog -- I love it! It's fun to imagine some of the same places we were in July; we stayed at The Grand of Trafalgar Square. I love both your travels and your internship stories. If you go to Cambridge, maybe Alison could meet you to see the sights; she lives just 30 minutes from there. Cheryl
ReplyDelete