Wednesday, 4 March 2009

Internships and 'Football'

Today was an overwhelming day. I worked in a new classroom today, called the Purple Class. It felt like it was my first day in the school all over again. I had just adjusted to the children in Yellow class and how I could work with them, and the children in Purple Class are on a completely different level. It is just hard trying to get to know the children quickly enough that you are helping and not just a distraction for them. It is still hard for me when I learn more about different children, the best way to describe the feeling is being overwhelmed. I just wish I had more experience and knew what I should be doing to help. I guess that is the point of my internship and I'm gaining that experience. I just need to stay as positive as the children are. I realize more and more how lucky I am.

Now for the 'good' stories from the week. On Tuesday I was in my normal classroom at my internship. I had been sent with two little boys to the soft play room where we were playing quite nicely. In this room there is a ball pit, much like the ones in Chucky Cheese. Anyway, one little boy grabbed my hand and let me over by the ball pit, accidentally when he let go of my hand he also pulled one of my rings off which then proceeded to fall in this large pit of balls. I remained calm telling myself it was only a ring and then reminding myself that I really liked that stupid ring. I attempted to search for it for a while and was unsuccessful as the balls really wouldn't move out of the way. I dug around for it with my foot and found my precious ring. I guess that will teach me to wear jewelry when working with children!

On Tuesday it was Yared's birthday so his parents came and we sand extra songs during circle time and they also brought cake. I'm not one to pass up cake so obviously I took the piece that was offered. From now on I will think twice. Although the cake looked good, looks can be deceiving. It was a cake made in an Italian bakery or shop or something and along with the fruit chunks there was definitely some form of alcohol mixed in. Although this may sound tasty, it was not. I finished the piece quickly because I didn't want to be rude although I'm sure the parents could have cared less whether I ate the cake.

Tonight was my first experience at a 'football' aka soccer match. Considering I haven't been to a whole soccer game in the U.S. and know nothing about the sport, I enjoyed it. I sat by a friend who plays soccer for Central and he was nice enough to answer my simple questions and explain the game a bit more. It was a zero-zero game until about the last two minutes, when one team finally scored. I was going to be pretty disappointed if it was a no scoring game. It was fun to see how the fans of the team who won reacted with songs and chants. There were so many of them! The match didn't get me hooked on 'football' but I'd give it another try.

No comments:

Post a Comment