So last night a couple of us went on a walk just down the street from Vandon House, you can practically see Big Ben and Parliment from where we are living. It left me speechless. London is so pretty and has so much character, it is very different being in a big city compared to little nugget Anita. I hope I will adjust quickly to the underground transportation system and even the bus system. We have had a couple almost mishaps on the Tube. The first of which occurred during the time when many Londoners are getting off of work so it is really busy. Once we jumped on a train and the door almost shut on my leg and I had to grab my roommate Jill so that I didn't annoy the man to my right even more than I already had. I think once I get more used to pushing my way around and learning how to get from place to place I will be much more comfortable.
Today was filled with informational meetings and a rainy tour of the city. Luckily the rain only lasted for the first few minutes of our tour and our tour guide was really good. I just wish I could remember all the information he told us. Tonight we went on a little shopping adventure and then a few of us decided to take the bus, which is prettier if you're not in a hurry and don't mind not knowing what you're doing. We made it back, when on a little walk by the park and stopped in a pub, so far I've been a cheap-o though. On our little stroll throught the park we decided to go back to this area that is where they have a ceremony when the Queen comes to London, also right by where the Prime Minister lives. Our tour guide took us there during the day, but appartently you aren't supposed to go back at night. Soon a very bright spotlight was on us and a police officer started walking toward us. Not only was he a police officer, but a police officer with a very very large riffle. Luckily he was also friendly, although his gun was pretty intimidating. I'm pretty much beat after our long day, but tomorrow should be much more relaxed and a few of us are going to go looking for some necessities, like a cell phone and a map of London.
I've also come to the conclusion that I'm going to get lost and probably frustrated, but I'm going to try to keep the mind set that everything that doesn't go exactly right will be a good travel story at some point down the road, even if it's not funny or amusing at that point in time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment