Saturday, 24 January 2009

Rides on the Tube

Friday 1/23
Tonight most of our group headed to the International Student House, although we heard this was not hard to find, the small group I was will managed to get "misdirected." We were doing just fine, but then we had to switch trains/tubes. This is where the problem started. We ended up getting on a tube going the opposite direction of our destination. Luckily, we discovered our mistake in time to get off at the next stop and find a new train. We thought we were fine and were on our way again. The tube we got onto headed the right direction, made a stop and then a voice announced something over the speakers. Unfortunately we could not understand what the voice had said. So we sat on the tube waiting for it to depart and head to the next station. As we were sitting there chatting we noticed that there was absolutely no one else on this particular tube. It turns out there was a dead end and that is the stop in which that train shuts down for the night. After we figured that little detail out it was smooth sailing. Although it took us possibly a little over an hour to get there, it was a fun trip. I also tripped up the stairs as we were exiting the tube station near our home. Lucky for me a native Londoner saw this and said "Somebody give that girl a hug." Yay me. That will most likely not be the first time I trip somewhere in London, I just hope the next time I trip more discretely.

Saturday 1/24
This morning was an optional walk around London to Bourough Market. My roommates and I decided to go despite being quite comfortable laying in our beds. I am glad I went though because it was a guided tour with the same tour guide we had on the second day we were in London. He is a very good guide, who knows more than I could imagine about the city of London and is quite lively while sharing his stories with us. The walk was cold, but we got to see St. Paul's Church which I learned is the church of the people of London, where as Westminster Abbey is a church for the Royal Family. We also walked along Millenium bridge and around by Globe Theatre. For my theatre class, we are touring the Globe Theatre later in the semester! Our tour was about two hours or longer and we ended near Bourough Market. This is a huge market, with any kind of food you can think of. We had samples of candy, cheese, jam, brownies, olives, and much more. Some of the boys decided to get 3 days worth of vegetables in in one day by taking a shot of wheat grass. If you think this sounds gross, you should see it being made or just smell it. Yuck. I opted to pass on that one and eat my carrotts instead! It was crazy how busy the markets get and how many there are in London. I want to visit somemore, but maybe when its calmer. The rest of the weekend is free, so who knows what I'll do....

No comments:

Post a Comment