Tuesday, 21 April 2009

Snails

This is the start week 15 of my time in London. It is nice to be back to a routine after the craziness of spring break, although waking up for Monday morning classes was still a drag. We are down to the final class periods, meaning I need to get to work on my final papers. The director of the London program was in Pella a couple weeks ago and it was really funny listening to him talk about his time in Iowa. He was there during the random snow storms and apparently Sunday was the only day they had off and it was also the day there was a blizzard. I believe his words were "It was bloody cold!" He also said that starting work at 7:30am was new to him and that they worked him hard! It sort of made me love Iowa even more, don't ask me why.

Anyway, today I was back at my internship and I now only have 5 more days at the Jack Taylor School. Today I worked in the Senior One classroom which is my favorite. They are fun and today I got to do a lot with them. I'm really excited too because Emma, the teacher of Senior One, does reading activities with about five pupils - all from different classes- during playground time. These five students are ones that they think have the potential to learn to read. So for the rest of my time I will get to do that one-on-one with some of the children.

This week and the rest of the term the school's theme is all about nature and being outside. So this afternoon, the senior one class spent the afternoon outside in one of the gardens pulling weeds. Mostly it was me and the teachers and sometimes the students would help out. As I was pulling out these weeds that had completely overtaken whatever flowers used to be there, I found snails! Okay, probably not a big deal, but I have never seen a snail before. There was one little guy and then two big ones that I found. I was pretty entertained with them for a while, but then thought that the teachers probably thought I was crazy for never having seen a snail before. Apparently snails and slugs are all over gardens.

That was about the excitement of my day. The weather was gorgeous today so I went for a run and then Allie and I made hamburger helper her parents had sent her. Now I am waiting to have a group skype date with my friends at Central and then I will convince myself to write a paper about the monarchy.

It hit me on the walk to work today how I am running out of time in London and I'll be honest it scares me. I just with London and Iowa were a little closer.

No comments:

Post a Comment